[DRBD-user] DRBD and EXT3 journaling options

Steve Wray steve.wray at cwa.co.nz
Mon Jul 7 03:43:02 CEST 2008

Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 09:48:49PM +0200, H.D. wrote:
>> Eric Marin wrote:
>>> a quick question for the filesystems experts : I'd like to mount an
>>> EXT3 partition with the 'data=journal' option, for some tests. This
>>> partition is in use by DRBD (cluster of two nodes).
>> To my knowledge there is no reason to use data=journal. It does not
>> provide any (safety) benefits over data=ordered.
>
> and usually, there are performance hits,
> as all file data has to be written twice now as well,
> once to the journal, and then to the final location.

I've worked with people who claimed the performance hit as well, so I
ran iozone benchmarks to see what the truth was.

I tend to like ext3 with data=journal on /var/log because I've found
that after a system crash the logs might have something useful in them
rather than just garbage. Yes, in this regard data=journal really does
make a difference.

When I looked at the performance characteristics (I don't have the
numbers now) the difference between data=journal and data=ordered was
pretty small. It would only make a difference if you were writing large
amounts of data very quickly to very large files (several gigabytes).

In the scenario that I was researching (/var/log) I reasoned that *if*
the performance hit of data=journal would be felt then the system had
far *far* larger problems than disk write performance. Ie the disk would
be filling up with gigantic log files *extremely* quickly.