[DRBD-user] DRBD and EXT3 journaling options

Mark Watts m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Wed Jul 2 11:30:05 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 02 July 2008 10:21:06 Eric Marin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a quick question for the filesystems experts : I'd like to mount an EXT3
> partition with the 'data=journal' option, for some tests. This partition
> is in use by DRBD (cluster of two nodes).
>
> (First method) Can I stop DRBD on node1, change the journaling mode,
> restart DRBD, and it will resync from node2 ? Then I'd stop DRBD on
> node2, change the journaling mode, restart DRBD, and it would resync
> from node1 ?
>
> (Second method) Perhaps I need to stop both nodes before changing the
> journaling mode, otherwise they won't be able to synchronize, as the
> journal would probably be different on the two nodes. Or perhaps this
> wouldn't work at all... ?
>
> However, since the partition can only be mounted on one node at a time,
> is this even a problem ?

Assuming you're running your EXT3 filesystem _ontop_ of DRBD, just unmount,
change options and remount. DRBD doesn't care about things like filesystems
since it's just moving blocks about.

The slave node just needs the options changing in whatever script mounts the
filesystem.

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS