[DRBD-user] fsck on DRBD partition questions

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Tue Jul 1 09:39:04 CEST 2008

Mike Sweetser - Adhost wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a DRBD partition mounted right now on its primary server that is
> reporting the need for a fsck to be run.  Naturally, we want to minimize
> the downtime on this, if not eliminating it entirely, so I wanted to see
> if there was any easy way to do this.
>
> Would something like this be possible?
>
> * Fail over to the failover server, but mount as read-only
> * Run the fsck on the primary server's copy
> * Rejoin the two and have primary copy to failover
>
> Are we totally off base here?  Would this work?  Is there another way to
> do this?

Yes you are off base, and this won't work. There's no way for DRBD to
"merge" the fsck modifications on one node with the modifications the
application makes on the other. And there _will_ be modifications (to
the filesystem metadata) on the other node even if you mount there
read-only.

Florian

--
: Florian G. Haas
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH

Enterprise consultancy and support for DRBD is available from LINBIT. If
you are interested, Please go to http://www.linbit.com/en/contact and
leave your contact details.

When replying, there is no need to CC my personal address. I monitor the
list on a daily basis. Thank you.