[DRBD-user] Heartbeat/DRBD IPaddr - MAC spoofing?

Rene Mayrhofer rene.mayrhofer at gibraltar.at
Thu Jan 31 07:04:51 CET 2008

On Donnerstag 31 Januar 2008, Mike Sweetser - Adhost wrote:
> Is it possible to spoof a MAC or create a virtual MAC address with the
> IPaddr object?  I noticed when heartbeat bounces, the MAC address of the
> IP changes (understandably) to the NIC's MAC, which might be an issue
> with external firewalls doing NAT.
>
> I know that Windows load balancing will create a "virtual MAC address"
> for each cluster created - is there a way to do this with drbd and
> heartbeat?
We've done it in the context of firewalls - virtual MACs with virtual IPs.
Advantage: no unsolicited ARP, which secure boxes tend to ignore.
Disadvantage: don't try to use smart switches, because they'll filter it...
Disadvantage: don't try to run IPSec or other "low-level" services on the same
interfaces on these boxes - it will break very subtly (and cost days of
painful debugging).

ebtables will be your friend, but feel free to contact me/us for details :-)

best regards,
Rene

Gibraltar firewall       http://www.gibraltar.at/