[DRBD-user] drbd and LVM -> always getting duplicate volumes (was: can't use LVM2 on drbd devices)

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Sun Jan 27 14:14:39 CET 2008

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 09:52:13AM +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> >>For iSCSI, true, I could use a link like /dev/iscsi/blah -> /dev/sdX and
> >>put that /dev/iscsi/blah as a filter for lvm.conf.
> >>
> >>dm-crypt devices don't have any ID or anything unique (that I know).
> >
> >you are supposed to be able to pass wanted major/minor numbers to
> >dmsetup. lvm e.g. is able to provide "persistent minors"
> >(persistent major theoretically only "mostly", not strictly, with kernel
> >2.6, though for al practical purposes I found that to be good enough,
> >you get the same major anyways)
>
> All right, once I figure out how, I'll keep the list updated.
>

> >>2. On system startup, find out which one of /dev/dm-XY devices is our
> >>crypted device. How to do it? If the device has unique size, just parse
> >>the output of fdisk -l. If there are multiple devices with the same
> >>size, it gets problematic.
> >
> >you could also use dm-crypt on top of drbd,
> >instead of below it? I guess that would be the easiest way.
>
> Indeed, but not in this setup.
> Here, the whole disk is encrypted, but only a part of it is replicated
> with DRBD.
> Of course I could partition the disk into parts encrypted separately,
> but then it's harder to maintain.

btw.
there probably is a (policy?) reason that the whole disk is encrypted.
if you have drbd above the decryption layer,
then drbd replicates _cleartext_,
which probably was not intended to leave the machine.
if you have however the drbd below,
it is all crypted traffic again,
because drbd then neve ever sees cleartext.

--
: commercial DRBD/HA support and consulting: sales at linbit.com :
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :