[DRBD-user] two primaries, writes when disconnected - will it always be a split-brain?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sat Jan 26 00:37:40 CET 2008

Benjamin Franz schrieb:
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>
>> I want to have two DRBD primaries.
>>
>> On top of DRBD there will be a LVM.
>>
>> LVM will consist of many logical volumes, and:
>> - the same logical volume will never be accessed concurrently by both
>> DRBD machines,
>> - there will be no LVM metadata changes
>
> [...]
>
> Why not just configure multiple DRBD devices and split them so that your
> 'division of labor' is mapped to completely seperate DRBD devices? Then
> you shouldn't need to worry about trying to resolve extended interleaved
> usages of a single device in splitbrain mode.

I thought about it, but that's not very efficient then:
- I have to create a logical volume on both sides
- I have to create a DRBD device for each such logical volumes

With two or three logical volumes it may work, but with more then 10, it
becomes to be a bit of administrative burden.

As it is to be a temporary solution, I'd rather avoid it.

But as I see in documentation, it won't work the way I want (which is:
two DRBD machines sync only areas that changed whenever they were
disconnected).

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org