[DRBD-user] unable to resync devices

Arne Altrichter arne at meteo-graphics.de
Sat Jan 19 16:30:54 CET 2008

Hi,

we have 2 systems with DRBD. The DRBD sync is not active at the moment,
because we are not able to resync the devices again. There is heavy
traffic on the master via samba and nfs. The slave has about 350G data
left to sync.
If we activate the DRBD daemon on the slave and the traffic on the
master grows too much, the file system on the master will not response
anymore. A simple "ls" lasts 30+ seconds. About 1 minute later
everything is normal again. Within these minute the DRBD sync speed is
normal or even rises to 10-20Mb/s.
The syncer rate is set to 5MB/s, but lowering it to 500kb/s does not
make any difference.
First we thought it’s a problem with our raid controllers
(http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=25923 and
http://community.novacaster.com/showarticle.pl?id=7395&n=8001), but the
sync speed should also be zero or at least very low while these gaps,
but it is not.
The situation is completely reproducible. Certain jobs produces these
gaps every time they run.

specs (identical systems):
- Xeon 3,0 Ghz
- Memory 2GB