[DRBD-user] drbd r0 fails to start (drbd newbie)

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Jan 15 00:45:21 CET 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 05:38:25PM -0500, thomas62186218 at aol.com wrote:
> Hi Lars,
>
> Thank you for the quick response!
>
> The source volume is called /dev/evms/poolvolume1, on 192.168.1.109
> (orionfirst)
> The secondary volume is called /dev/evms/poolvolume1b, on 192.168.108
> (orionsecond)
>
> In both case, the device (poolvolume1 and poolvolume1b) are EVMS
> volumes, and those are indeed their actual names.
>
> I changed the hostnames to remove the period characters but still am
> getting the same results.
>
> You say "you cannot claim the whole device". What do you mean by that
> exactly?

I just suspected some typo on your side.
if some device has "partitions", quoted here to denote that with evms
I assume these are virtual partions and in fact probably dm targets,
it may become difficult to claim the device itself.

if it is on purpose, just ignore that statement.
find out what evms voodo has claimed those devices already,
and deal with it.

  find /sys/block/ -path "*/holder/s*" -o -path "*/slaves/*" -ls
or
  dmsetup table
  dmsetup ls --tree -o inverted
or even
  head -n 2000  /proc/partitions /proc/mounts

may give some hints.
these are hints only, and not necessarily a complete list of device
dependencies. you have to use your knowledge of your system to figure
out what may be using those devices.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                           http://www.linbit.com :
: DRBD/HA support and consulting             sales at linbit.com :