[DRBD-user] Failure: (114) Lower device is already claimed. This usually means it is mounted. WTF?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Fri Jan 11 16:39:45 CET 2008

Lars Ellenberg schrieb:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 01:19:19PM +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>> After I created a LVM volume on a DRBD device, I rebooted the server.
>>
>> I'm unable to start DRBD now:
>>
>> # /sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/mapper/san2_crypt1
>> /dev/mapper/san2_crypt1 internal --set-defaults --create-device
>> Failure: (114) Lower device is already claimed. This usually means it is
>> mounted.
>>

>> The device is certainly not mounted and I've no idea what might be using
>> it. Is there a way to check it somehow?
>
> probably your udev and/or lvm autodetection magic
> steps in your way.
>
> check your lvm filters, check your multipath filters, if any, check your
> udev rules, check the output of "dmsetup table", etc.

It was used by device mapper.

/dev/drbd0 sits on /dev/mapper/san2_crypt1 here. /dev/mapper/san2_crypt1
is one of the partitions for /dev/mapper/san2_crypt.

I partitioned /dev/drbd0 device and device mapper (as defined in
multipath.rules from udev) created mappings for it:

/dev/mapper/san2_crypt1p1

A solution was to remove that mapping with kpartx:

kpartx -d /dev/mapper/san2_crypt1

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org