[DRBD-user] reconnect after interface down/up

Art Age Software artagesw at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 23:40:05 CET 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 11:16 AM, Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com> wrote:
> Art Age Software wrote:
> >
> > I experienced this behavior as well. A warning to Red Hat/CentOS
> > users: If you do a "service network restart" on a server with an
> > active DRBD connection, DRBD will go into StandAlone state on that
> > server and will stay in that state until you manually reconnect.
> >

> That is normal behavior AFAIK for drbd when the other node becomes
> unreachable.
>
> If you want, keep the DRBD interfaces out of the Redhat managed
> interfaces and set up interface management using heartbeat or
> roll your own interface management scripts.
>
> -Ross

The key point I was trying to make is that DRBD behaves differently
when the **interface** goes away (ifdown / network restart) than it
does when only the **connection** goes away (eg. pulling the ethernet
cable).

In the latter case, DRBD will recover automatically when the
connection comes back (eg. cable plugged back in). But this is not
true in the former case.

I was surprised by this behavior, hence my warning to the list.

Sam