[DRBD-user] DRBD serious locking due to TOE - UPDATE

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Jan 7 12:13:28 CET 2008

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 08:56:56AM +0000, Ben Clewett wrote:

> Hi Carson,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  It is certainly odd that a write-ahead-cache
> should make DRBD slower rather than faster.

you definetely misunderstood something here.

> The comments I picked up were from Lars Ellenberg:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.network.drbd/11397/focus=11401
>
> "no. more concern about your write cache in the cciss controller,
> and whether it lies to the kernel about having written stuff to disk
> when in fact it is only in that (probably not battery backed?) write
> cache..."

my concerns here are about data reliability,
and have nothing to do with anything "locking" or not.

this comment was meant to say:
if you use write-back (aka write-behin, aka write-ahead) caches,
then they better be persistent (aka "battery backed").

nothing more, nothing less.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                           http://www.linbit.com :
: DRBD/HA support and consulting             sales at linbit.com :