[DRBD-user] DRBD attempts to access beyond end of device

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Feb 27 21:51:42 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 01:07:04PM -0500, Nate Seif wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 04:14:36PM -0500, Nate Seif wrote:
>>> Hello all:
>>> I intermittently experience the errors below while running DRBD and would
>>> like to correct whatever condition is causing DRBD to randomly lose pages.
>>> My hard disks and partitions are identical and have never given me
>>> problems previously. I don't see any other disk I/O errors in my logs. And
>>> it appears that occassionally (not always) these errors are preceded by a
>>> resync of the two disks.
>>>
>>> Why would DRBD "attempt to access beyond end of device"?
>>>
>>> I am running DRBD 8.06 on Gentoo Linux as I could not get my latest
>>> Gentoo kernel to load the DRBD module where version > 8.06. Metadata is
>>> "internal" and I'm running Protocol C. I'd be happy to post my drbd.conf
>>> page if necessary.
>>>

>>> Feb 26 08:21:46 <hostname> attempt to access beyond end of device
>>> Feb 26 08:21:46 <hostname> drbd0: rw=1, want=211992584, limit=211986944
>>> Feb 26 08:21:46 <hostname> Buffer I/O error on device drbd0, logical block
>>> 26499072
>>> Feb 26 08:21:46 <hostname> lost page write due to I/O error on drbd0
>>> Feb 26 08:21:46 <hostname> attempt to access beyond end of device
>>> Feb 26 08:21:46 <hostname> drbd0: rw=1, want=211992592, limit=211986944
>>> Feb 26 08:21:46 <hostname> Buffer I/O error on device drbd0, logical block
>>> 26499073
>>> Feb 26 08:21:46 <hostname> lost page write due to I/O error on drbd0
>>>

>>> Any ideas, tips, help, etc. is much appreciated. Thank you -
>>
>> let me guess:
>> you did mkfs /dev/sda1, not mkfs /dev/drbd0?
>> well, you screwed up.
>
> I did NOT mkfs on /dev/hda4. (I have DRBD running on a pair of IDE/PATA
> disks and no SATA drives in either system.)
>
> I partitioned my disks with fdisk. I have identical drives with
> identically sized partitions. I compiled the DRBD module, started DRBD,
> mounted /dev/drbd0 (not /dev/hda4), and formatted drbd0 with an ext3
> file system on the primary only after I got DRBD up and running months
> ago.

please do

      tune2fs -l /dev/mapper/vg00--bk1-root |
	grep -e ^Block.count: -e ^Block.size:

you get two numbers.
multiply those, you get the size (in bytes)
your ext3 thinks it is occupying.
which is the size of the partition you run the mkfs on, at the time of
the mkfs run, unless you used special options.

now, do
	grep -e hda4 -e drbd0 /proc/partitions

you again get two numbers, this time unit is kilo byte.
that is the size of the partitions as the kernel sees them now.
according to the logs above (the limit= is unit sectors),
drbd0 will be 105993472 kB.
I dare say hda4 will be somewhat larger, my best guess, given the
information I have, is that hda4 will be 105996740 kB.
and that this also matches what the tune2fs reports.

> My logs did not start recording these errors until several weeks ago.

which probably only means that the file system slowly filled up,
and now starts actually _using_ those areas which are no longer there,
because they are now occupied by the drbd meta data.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                           http://www.linbit.com :
: DRBD/HA support and consulting             sales at linbit.com :