[DRBD-user] Public draft of DRBD Users' Guide available, feedback requested

Carlos Xavier cbastos at connection.com.br
Wed Feb 27 10:06:10 CET 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Florian Haas" <florian.haas at linbit.com>
To: <drbd-user at linbit.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 7:15 AM
Subject: [DRBD-user] Public draft of DRBD Users' Guide available,feedback
requested

> Hello.
>
> We have just published an initial public draft of the all-new DRBD Users'
> Guide which will henceforth be available at
> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/.

tank you for the nice work.

> This guide is going to be in "public draft" status all through the month
> of
> March. We request, strongly encourage and much appreciate feedback.
> Corrections are more than welcome, as are suggestions for improvement.

I´ve been playing around with creation of a package for Slackware, so I have
a suggestion for the topic
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-build-from-source.html

The description on this topic is a litle bit different from the INSTALL
file.
In fact you dont need to have your source kernel already compiled on
/usr/src/linux-RELEASE
to create the module with some vendor config file.
In order to get the module compiled for two version of the kernel, I
instaled a vanila source kernel
at /usr/src and made those steps bellow

cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper
cp /boot/config-generic-2.6.21.5 .config
make modules_prepare

cd /usr/local/src/drbd-8.2.4
make clean ; make KDIR=/usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5
make install

cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper
cp /boot/config-generic-smp-2.6.21.5-smp .config
make modules_prepare

cd /usr/local/src/drbd-8.2.4
make clean all
make install

So we dont need even to run "make oldconfig", we just need to run the "make
modules_prepare" command

> In order to get yourself acquainted with the guide and its organization,
> you
> will probably find http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/about.html useful.
>
> Happy reading.
>
> Cheers,