[DRBD-user] Public draft of DRBD Users' Guide available, feedback requested

Doug Lochart dlochart at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 19:58:56 CET 2008

>From a pure novice perspective this user document is what I have been
searching for over the past few weeks.  I am at the point of trusting
what I am reading and only able to notice obvious inconsistencies.  I
am now up to DRBD enable applications and thus far it has been an
excellent read.  The misty shrowd surrounding all that is DRBD is
beginning to clear.  The detailed explanation of what you see from
'cat /proc/drbd' helped tremendously as did the coverage of
Split-Brain.  It is only today that I learned that Split-Brain can
occur in DRBD AND in the Cluster Manager (in my case Heartbeat).  I
thought it was one in the same.

Thanks so much for this document!

regards,

Doug

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Nate Seif
<seifn at rstechnicalservices.com> wrote:
> Three relatively minor suggestions:
>
>  (1)
>  http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ch-fundamentals.html
>  "drbdsetup is the program that allows to configure the DRBD module that
>  has been loaded into the running kernel."
>  should probably read
>  "drbdsetup is the program that allows users to configure the DRBD module
>  that has been loaded into the running kernel."
>
>  (2)
>  http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ch-fundamentals.html
>  "drbdmeta allows to create, dump, restore, and modify DRBD's meta data
>  structures."
>  should also probably read
>  "drbdmeta allows users to create, dump, restore, and modify DRBD's meta
>  data structures."
>
>  (3)
>  http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-outdate.html
>  "(were it uses a communication channel separate from the DRBD replication
>  link)"
>  should probably read
>  "(where it uses a communication channel separate from the DRBD replication
>  link)"
>

>  Nate
>

>  On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Florian Haas wrote:
>

> > Hello.
>  >
>  > We have just published an initial public draft of the all-new DRBD Users'
>  > Guide which will henceforth be available at http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/.
>  >
>  > This guide is going to be in "public draft" status all through the month of
>  > March. We request, strongly encourage and much appreciate feedback.
>  > Corrections are more than welcome, as are suggestions for improvement.
>  >
>  > In order to get yourself acquainted with the guide and its organization, you
>  > will probably find http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/about.html useful.
>  >
>  > Happy reading.
>  >
>  > Cheers,
>  > Florian
>  >
>  > --
>  > : Florian G. Haas
>  > : LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH
>  > : Vivenotgasse 48, A-1120 Vienna, Austria
>  >
>  > When replying, there is no need to CC my personal address.
>  > I monitor the list on a daily basis. Thank you.
>  > drbd-user mailing list
>  > drbd-user at lists.linbit.com
>  >

What profits a man if he gains the whole world yet loses his soul?