[DRBD-user] Recommended Hardware

Benjamin Franz snowhare at nihongo.org
Fri Feb 22 20:28:56 CET 2008

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Tom Brown wrote:

[...]

> Well, I can tell you that piecing together your own servers does not
> work well. Even with an Asus mobo. Our home grown file servers are
> failing. I am not the one who put them together and was not the one who
> decided to build them from scratch. They will be replaced by Dell
> PowerEdge SC1435 servers.

[...]

That depends entirely on the skill of the person building them. Did you
think that Dell servers sprang full formed from the forehead of Athena?

A skilled technician can spec and assemble a reliable high end server
class machine from parts for a fraction of the cost of a comparable Dell
machine. Dell's are notoriously overpriced once you get beyond their entry
level machines.

An unskilled technician couldn't successfully spec and assemble even a
reliable office desktop class machine (and they would spend more than
buying an off-the-shelf machine in that class anyway).

--
Benjamin Franz

Before you get too proud of how fast you are making progress,
be sure it is in the correct direction.