[DRBD-user] mkfs fails on nb0

Eric D billybwilde at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 21 20:45:26 CET 2008

I'm having trouble getting the final steps of configuring DRBD to work for me under Ubuntu 7.1. When I try to mkfs.ext3, I get a "No such device or address while trying to determine filesystem size" error. Has anybody seen this before, or know of a workaround for specifying the filesystem size via some other means?

Here are the series of commands I have used to get DRBD running thus far:

apt-get install drbd8-module-source
apt-get install drbd8-utils
m-a a-i drbd8
lsmod |grep drbd   #shows drbd loaded
MAKEDEV nb0 # created device /dev/.static/dev/nb0
ls /dev/.static/dev/nb* -all   # reports that:  brw-rw---- 1 root disk 43, 0 2008-02-20 11:39 /dev/.static/dev/nb0

Edited /etc/drbd.conf to read:

on node1 {
  device    /dev/.static/dev/nb0;
  disk       /dev/sda3/;
  address / 10.0.0.1:7788;
  meta-disk internal;
}

on node2 {
  device    /dev/.static/dev/nb0;
  disk       /dev/sda3/;
  address / 10.0.0.2:7788;
  meta-disk internal;
}

drbdadm create-md all

/etc/init.d/drbd start # on both machines

/etc/init.d/drbd status

Which showed sync status, resulting in:

0: cs:onnected st:Primary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate C r---
ns:292960392 nr:0 dw:0 dr:292960392 al:0 bm:17881 lo:0 pe:0 ua: ) ap:0

However, when I attempted to:

mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 /dev/.static/dev/nb0

I receive the error:

mkfs.ext3: No such device or address while trying to determine filesystem size

The only references to this error I could find for DRBD is way back in 01-2002 when Phillip Reisner suggested to add a disk-size= statement into the config file. This seemed to work for the person having the trouble, however when I make such an entry into drbd.conf under either the Disk header or node header if fails to load. I tried specifying total blocks in mkfs and that didn't help either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

                   - billybwilde