[DRBD-user] Heartbeat vs. Heartbeat 2

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Fri Feb 8 14:21:19 CET 2008

On 2008-02-07T15:06:21, Rudolph Bott <rb at megabit.net> wrote:

> Hey List,
>
> I'm using debian etch +  packages (drbd 8 from backports.org) for a
> two-node san with iscsi. I had some problems with setting up heartbeat
> correctly in the past so I skipped that part and I'm using manual fail-over
> with self-written scripts etc now.
>
> Thinking about setting up heartbeat once more - what are your experiences
> with it and is it generally better to say that heartbeat 2 is superior to
> heartbeat in any case? (I doubt that since both packages are available in
> most distributions)

heartbeat 2.x supports a legacy-mode which is compatible with v1. (And,
in fact, uses the old code.) If you use that, it is exactly as simple as
you requested it.

hb in 2.x mode can support >2 nodes, service monitoring and a metric ton
of other stuff. If you need any of these, yes, it is superior ;-)

Distributions still making available 1.2.x or older for new installs are
missing out on serious bugfixes. That's not exactly good for users.

Regards,
    Lars