[DRBD-user] Sharing RedHat RPM packages

Thu Feb 7 13:49:38 CET 2008

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> Florian Haas wrote:
>>> Well, both, if you can. CentOS 4 is stuck on 0.7; would be nice to
>>> offer DRBD 8 in parallel (the way Debian does). CentOS 5 has the 8.0
>>> branch, maybe replace that with 8.2.
>>
>> So you're recommending to use 8.2 in a production environment now? I
>> don't think we want to have software (even in CentOSplus) where the
>> protocol might change. Once 8.2.x gets "stable" (like 8.0.x), we'll
>> think about inclusion. And we are at 8.0.8 at the moment.
>>
>> Regarding CentOS4 - yes, there might be a possibility to also offer an
>> drbd8 - but the 0.7 version has to stay. We cannot just pull away
>> something people might run.
>
> More info on this.  There is no easy way to automate moving from
> drbd-0.7.x to drbd-8.x ... so I can not see CentOS ever totally removing
> drbd-0.7.x OR making drbd-8.x an auto upgrade from drbd-0.7.x in
> CentOS-4.  I have no problem adding drbd-8.0 (drbd8) or drbd-8.2
> (drbd82) in parallel with drbd-0.7.x for CentOS-4.
>
> There are plenty of things (GNOME, KDE, everything really) in CentOS-4
> that are not going to be upgraded ... just because that is how
> enterprise distros work.  I mean, there is still a CentOS-2.1 with
> gnome-1.4 out there and people still use it ... security issues are
> backported.  So as long as it works and there are not unresolved
> security issues, we will keep drbd-0.7.x around till the end of CentOS-4.
>

>> So how about drbd (0.7 line) and drbd8 (the 8.0 line) in CentOS 4?
>
> Maybe even a drbd82 for both centos-4 and centos-5 that goes along with
> drbd (0.7.x in c4 and 8.0.x in c5).
>
> Do I understand that 8.2.x is going to continue on forward forever (as
> the 2.6 kernel seems to do) ... or will there be a 8.4.x, etc?

OK, I have built RPMS / SRPMS for drbd82 for both CentOS-4 and CentOS-5
(i386 and x86_64 arches).

You can get them here, but they are CONFLICTS and not obsoletes/upgrades
to the versions that are currently in CentOS Extras.  This is due to the
fact that there are major changes (especially in CentOS-4) so the
process to upgrade should be to remove the old version, install the new
version, configure.

Please test these RPMS and provide feedback so we can roll them into the
CentOS Extras repositories alongside the current DRBD versions that are
already there.

http://people.centos.org/~hughesjr/drbd/

You will need the drbd82-<version>.<arch>.rpm that matches your arch
(i386, x86_64) and kmod-drbd82-<version>.<arch>.rpm that matches your
arch and KERNEL version.  For example, if you where using CentOS-4, you
would do this:

find arch:
[buildcentos at v20z-x86-64 ~]$ uname -i
x86_64

find kernel version:
[buildcentos at v20z-x86-64 ~]$ uname -r
2.6.9-67.0.4.EL

So in this case I would download these RPMS:

drbd82-8.2.4-1.el4.centos.x86_64.rpm
kmod-drbd82-8.2.4-1.2.6.9_67.0.4.EL.x86_64.rpm

Please report successful installs and problems here:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2657

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes