[DRBD-user] Primary/Primary : how put a node in outdate mode ?

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Feb 1 19:10:02 CET 2008

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 12:28:01PM +0100, Dominique Fournier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use a drbd 8.2.4-1, on a Debian 2.6.23-1-amd64 machine. The cluster
> should be in primary/primary mode with OCFS2 to support services on both
> nodes.
>
> It work really well under normal work.
>
> When the drbd link drops, I would like :
> - The first node continue to work as Primary (with Waiting For Connection)
> - The second node go to Outdate mode.
>
> When the link should goes up, the Secondary do a sync diff and after I
> can put it primary again, and restart OCFS and my services.
>
> I wrote a drbd-peer-outdater which know on which node it is launched.
>
> My problem is :
> How can I put the second node in Outdate state immediately without
> passing it in Secondary mode ?

you can't.

> I can't pass it in Secondary because OCFS is mounted and dead services
> are connected to partition. I can't kill services nor OCFS because drbd
> is idle.

and DRBD can't do anything about that.

the OCFS2 way of dealing with this sort of problems is "SMITH",
which translates to "shoot myself in the head" (compare with "STONITH").
you could try to do a user space handler for these events,
which resets the box (instead of or in addition to the outdate).

--
: Lars Ellenberg                           http://www.linbit.com :
: DRBD/HA support and consulting             sales at linbit.com :