[DRBD-user] Upgrade from 0.7 - questions

LAci X lanlaf at index.hu
Fri Dec 26 12:43:39 CET 2008

   Hi, I have a Heartbeat + DRBD 0.7.x based production system upand running for a year now (7x24, rebooted only for securityupgrades).It is based on Debian Etch, two IBM X3500 servers, each loaded with 750 GByte SATA disks, HW RAID5, 5.5 TByte cutinto several ~680 GByte pieces.On top of DRBD there is iscsi-target serving a Windows 2003 cluster with various applications. The system is stable, no crashes, no problems whatsoever. I do have a performance problem though. I have to use blockio in iscsi-target (no linux page-cache), because fileio resulted in data loss in case of hard crash of the primary. On the iscsi interface the max throughput measured by mrtgis like 15 megabytes/sec on a 5 minute average. If I watch on the windows side, the traffic of the iscsi interface shoots up to 40-60 % of gigabit, then falls back to 0-10 %, then shoots up again, and so on, so it fluctuates. I think it is a latency issue, the microsoft iscsi initiatorsends some requests (with various amount of data), and untilthose does not come back as completed, it doesn't send morerequests. During the test phase of the system, if I skipped DRBD, andput iscsi-target write directly to the raid-disk, the performance was up and the iscsi interface load draw a horizontal line, no fluctuations as with drbd. I am thinking about upgrading to drbd 8. The reason for upgrade: - company policy does not allow usage of unsupported software, and drbd 0.7 is not supported any more.- the above mentioned performance problem. The questions: - Which version I should upgrade to, 8.0.14 or 8.3.0? I am thinking about going to 8.3.0, as it has certain latencyimprovements not available in 8.0.x (if that is correct). - Is 8.3.0 (and 8.0.14) is as stable as the 0.7 codebase, whichis running in production for a year now without problems? - Does anyone use 8.2.x or 8.3.0 in production?- Which kernel is better for drbd 8, Debian 2.6.18 or Debian 2.6.24  etchnhalf? Best regards,lanlaf

Szilveszter a Balatonon - 79.000 Ft / fő / 3 éjtől