[DRBD-user] Found a new disk flush error code

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Dec 15 15:35:00 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 03:14:28PM +0100, Thomas Reinhold wrote:
> Thanks for your quick answer.
>
> This is the complete error message (I shoud have posted that in the first
> place, sorry):
>

>     Dec 11 21:47:56 bftest-54 kernel: FAILED
>     Dec 11 21:47:56 bftest-54 kernel:   status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
>     Dec 11 21:47:56 bftest-54 kernel:   <6>sd: Current: sense key: Illegal Request
>     Dec 11 21:47:56 bftest-54 kernel:     Additional sense: Invalid command operation code

well, that is from the scsi layer.
and yes, that is exactly the decoded scsi_execute_req return value
0x8000002 ;)

>     Dec 11 21:47:56 bftest-54 kernel: drbd0: local disk flush failed with
>     status 134217730
>
> What I forgot to mention is that DRBD runs on top of a dm device (dm-crypt),
> which in turn runs on top of the raid array. Could that cause the problem?

I was not aware that redhat has patched its 2.6.18 dm-crypt to
(pretend to?) support flushed/barriers.

but that should be irrelevant in this context.

apparendly your lower level driver (what driver module is in use?) does
not support flush requests, or something in the device mapper stack
converts the flush request into something that the driver does not
understand.

we may consider to handle any return value != 0 in the same way in drbd.
meanwhile, the correct fix is:

--
: Lars Ellenberg