[DRBD-user] Do we need to run mkfs on the replicating node?

Dominik Klein dk at in-telegence.net
Thu Dec 11 08:37:17 CET 2008

Steven Truong wrote:
> Dear.  I am new to DRBD and have a problem with accessing /dev/drbd0
> on the replicating node.

You did not share your drbd.conf, but I guess you do not (and with ext3,
you do not want to) use dual primary mode. So it's okay and expected to
not be able to use the replicating node's data (secondary's data).

> I was able to run mkfs on /dev/drbd0 and then mounted it.  However,
> after the sync was done, I could not run mkfs on /dev/drbd0 on the
> replicating node and could not mount it.

You don't have to run mkfs on the secondary.

I guess you should read the drbd users-guide fundamentals chapter.
Especially the chapter on resource roles:
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-resource-roles.html

Regards
Dominik