[DRBD-user] Problem in configuring LVM on DRBD

Vaibhav Nipunage vaibhavnipunage at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 05:28:00 CET 2008

Hi All,

I am using DRBD( version: 8.0.5). I want to use LVM over DRBD. I am facing
some problem after DRBD configuration.

For configuration I have used physical disks i.e. /dev/sdb (on local) and
/dev/sdc (on remote).  The configuration was successful. But I want to
create VG and LV on this DRBD device (/dev/drbd0). I have made changes in
lvm.conf. I have changed the LVM filter (*filter = [ "a|sd.*|", "a/drbd.*/",
"r|.*|"]*) to accept the DRBD devices. Then I performed pvcreate and
vgcreate.

*PVCreate:*

[root at host_1 ~]# pvcreate /dev/drbd0

  Physical volume "/dev/drbd0" successfully created

*VGCreate:*

[root at host_1 ~]# vgcreate VG1 /dev/drbd0

  Found duplicate PV Z7LP9jIE8dTQNae9mDTAJDuDABKwex5v: using /dev/sdb not
/dev/drbd0

  Found duplicate PV Z7LP9jIE8dTQNae9mDTAJDuDABKwex5v: using /dev/drbd0 not
/dev/sdb

  Found duplicate PV Z7LP9jIE8dTQNae9mDTAJDuDABKwex5v: using /dev/sdb not
/dev/drbd0

  Found duplicate PV Z7LP9jIE8dTQNae9mDTAJDuDABKwex5v: using /dev/drbd0 not
/dev/sdb

  Volume group "VG1" successfully created

LVCreaet:

[root at host_1~]# lvcreate -n lv1 -L 1G VG1

  Found duplicate PV Z7LP9jIE8dTQNae9mDTAJDuDABKwex5v: using /dev/sdb not
/dev/drbd0

  device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument

  Failed to activate new LV.

It is giving this error. I am unable to create LV on this DRBD device.

Please help me.

Thanks & Regards,

Vaibhav Nipunage

Systems Engineer