[DRBD-user] Creating a "degraded" DRBD (was: Staggered implementation questions.)

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Dec 5 13:23:30 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 05:02:57PM +0100, Peter Funk wrote:
> Hello,

> > I (Peter Funk) wrote:
> > > This is on a freshly installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS which came with
> > > a 8.0.11 DRBD package.
>
> Stefan Seifert answered:
> > Please, always use the latest version. That's 8.0.14 for the 8.0 branch. You
> > might even consider upgrading to 8.2.7. The verify feature should be worth
> > it.
>
> To upgrade cleanly I need an Ubuntu debian package.  I didn't find one
> on the net.  So I assume, I've to build one.
> > >     drbdadm -- ::::1:1:::: set-gi r0
> > >     drbdadm up r0
> > >     drbdadm primary r0
> > If you leave out the diagnostic commands, you'll see that you end up with just
> > about the same commands as in the excellent drbd user's guide.
> I've searched through http://www.drbd.org/users-guide online since the
> Ubuntu package I mentioned above didn't contain this users guide.
> But even with a lot of help from old aunt Google ;-) I wasn't able
> to locate the section you mentioned above.  I admit, that I didn't
> read the complete guide yet.  Nevertheless please give a hint.
>
> BTW:
> The same excellent users-guide contains the following sentence:
>   "The DRBD source tree includes a debian subdirectory containing
>    the required files for Debian packaging, so you can simply issue
>    the following commands to build DRBD Debian packages: ...."
>  (cited from http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-build-deb.html )
> Unfortunately it wasn't that simple:
> I've first downloaded 8.0.14 and than in turn 8.2.7 and 8.3.0rc1 from
> http://oss.linbit.com/drbd/
> Neither of these tarballs included the promised debian subdirectory.

none of the tarballs do.  the "real" debian maintainers don't like
upstream packages to include debian directories, and asked us to provide
tarballs without that subdir.

however the git tree does include a debian directory,
so try with a git checkout,
git.drbd.org/drbd-8.3.git (or 8.2, or 8.0)

> Is there a location where I can download a DRBD users guide matching
> the software version I have?

git.drbd.org/drbd-documentation.git/

--
: Lars Ellenberg