[DRBD-user] Definitive answer on >4TB DRBD volumes

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Dec 3 12:05:04 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 11:29:38AM -0500, Maurice Volaski wrote:
>> DRBD+
>>   both 32bit and 64bit
>>   (we recommend 64bit for large storage anyways).
>> 	16 TB per device (currently)
>
> And now in 8.3.0rc1...
>
>> * bitmap in unmapped pages = support for devices > 4TByte (was DRBD+)
>
> So does this mean 8.3.0rc1 supports 16 TB?

yes, on both 32bit and 64bit.

> What if we want more than  that?

then go fix it.

or wait until someone (maybe LINBIT?) fixes that first.

> Is it a hard-coded limit simply because it hasn't been tested
> beyond that or is it known to cause mayhem?

I am certain that the current code base cannot support more than 32 TB
without major changes.

I am currently unsure whether it might support up to 32TB (though
probably on 64bit kernel only) with only minor code changes.
we are looking into that.

--
: Lars Ellenberg