[DRBD-user] Re: Drbd device limit, 8TB available from 16TB partition

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 2 17:51:51 CET 2008

Hari Sekhon wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I have a server with just around 17TB usable storage which I want to
> replicate at the block level via drbd.
>
> I got the complaint regarding the 16TB max partition size supported,
> so reduced the 17TB partition to 16TB and successfully set up the drbd
> metadata on it.
>
> However, now I can only see 8TB of it.
> I understand the limit is 8TB having looking through previous mails to
> the this list, but then why did it let me use up a 16TB partition and
> waste half of it?
>
> This is running on a x86_64 CentOS 5 server with drbd 0.8.13 (I had
> been using drbd 2.8 but this kept crashing the system with a kernel
> panic when trying to write to the mounted drbd0 partition with xfs on
> it. Downgrading to 8.0.13 and then re-creating the metadata, mounting
> and retrying solved the problem)
>
> Is there any way of getting the thing to do all 16TB of the partition?
>
> Otherwise I'll have to destroy it and rework it with 2x8TB which would
> be a pain. I'd then be tempted to do an lvm on the top of those 2
> drbds even though I know Lars recommends against it, because I really
> could do with the 16TB contiguous space replicated...

Err... make that I am running version 8.0.13 of drbd instead of 8.2.6
after the kernel panic problem.

If there is no way around the 8TB limit then I'll just have to carve
down to 8TB and hope that works, but I'd really prefer a single large
device.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
Always open to interesting opportunities