[DRBD-user] downgrade from 8.2 to 8.0

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Dec 2 16:06:34 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 11:57:39AM +0100, Wolfram Schlich wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> due to the bugs found in 8.2 during the last months,
> I'm planning to downgrade some systems running 8.2.6
> to 8.0.14 (I do also feel that Lars' recommendation
> to use 8.2 instead of 8.0 wasn't a good one regarding
> production systems, but that's something different ;>).
>
> So, my question is: will the downgrade work?

It is supposed to work.

> I'm using external metadata on all systems.

on disk meta data is identical for 8.0, 8.2 and 8.3.

> Is there anything I have to take care of?

you may need to be careful with the drbd.conf,
as drbd 8.2 understands some directives and shortcuts
drbd 8.0 does not know about.

you can check with
"drbdadm -c some.example-conf -d dump"
beforehand.

if you happen to have such incompatible config files,
you can use /etc/drbd-08.conf and /etc/drbd-82.conf,
to ease the transition.
as drbdadm 8.2 will first look for the -82.conf,
and drbdadm 8.0 will first look for the -08.conf.

--
: Lars Ellenberg