[DRBD-user] Estimating meta data size

Peter Funk pf at artcom-gmbh.de
Tue Dec 2 08:49:55 CET 2008

Hello,

excuse me.  I'm new here.  I hope I don't violate any policiy
by jumping in here and stealing this thread.

But Florian Haas wrote 02.12.2008 08:07:
> ..., and unless you're on an
> age-old I/O subsystem that doesn't have a RAID controller with
> battery-backed write cache, just use internal metadata.

What if DRBD is used on top of Linux software RAID?

So imagine off-the-shelf hardware: two boxes with two SATA drives
each connected to two standard PC motherboards with no
hardware RAID and no batteries at all involved.

Although this is new hardware I suspect that this situation
might be somewhat comparable with what you describe as
"age-old I/O subsystem".

Are there any reasons to not use internal metadata in this situation?
Does it make any sense to buy for example a CF-Card adapter or a solid
state disk to store the DRBD metadata on another may be safer device?

Regards, Peter
--
Peter Funk, ✉Oldenburger Str.86, D-27777 Ganderkesee, Germany
office: ArtCom GmbH, ✉Lise-Meitner-Str. 5, D-28359 Bremen, Germany