[DRBD-user] Node rollback

devlists at soscpd.net devlists at soscpd.net
Mon Dec 1 17:26:15 CET 2008

Hello Florian, List

Sorry the delay Florian, the message was sent to my spam box, some how.

Just for note, I'm not the system admin. I'm just a consultant, and that
was a client problem. Lucky me to have a backup daemon running, without
the company IT knowledge.

> If I understand your situation correctly,
>
> - first one of your nodes (let's call it "joe") lost the connection to
> its peer ("jane"), and continued in disconnected mode for several days.

Exacly.  On fixing some cables, someone just missed the cross-over between
servers. Totally understandable.

> - then a few days later, joe and jane reconnected.

That's correct.

> - now, without any further intervention, jane became primary, became a
> synchronization source, and warped the entire cluster back in time
> several days.

Not quite. The same cable guy have done some commands on joe. Probably
secodary all. Then, restarted jane...

> So, to be honest, I find it hard to believe

So am I. It's the little bug behind the server/keyboard, and not a drbd
problem.  I'm working with DRBD in around 140 clients without any
problem's. But this particular client have the IT team, who knows a lot.

> - your drbd.conf;
> - relevant log snippets from the "time warp" event;
> - a detailed description of the administrative steps you took in the
> process, compiled preferably with the help of your bash history file?

About that, well... sorry, I have just formatted the servers in the same
day and restored the backups.

Regards
Rafael