[DRBD-user] DRBD and compression

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Aug 27 20:25:15 CEST 2008

As DRBD does not support compression and I saw a couple of posts on this
list asking about compression in DRBD, I thought I'd made a quick test
to see how much could I save.

I used OpenVPN's lzo compression to test it; I was running the test for
a couple of days.

DRBD was holding a couple of Xen and VMware guests.

You can see more information here:

http://blog.wpkg.org/2008/08/27/drdb-and-link-compression/

Note that compressing the link between two DRBD machines make sense over
a WAN interface only (if you have to pay for the amount of data
transferred, the link is too slow, or both).

--
Tomasz Chmielewski