[DRBD-user] add resource while drbd is running

Matthias Wuerfl matthias at wuerfl.com
Mon Aug 25 13:53:50 CEST 2008

Matthias Würfl (that's me) schrieb:

> I've set up DRBD on Etch (Version: 0.7.21-4+028stab053.5) and it works
> fine. However, when i want to add a resource i need to restart DRBD.
> Trying to add a resource while DRBD is running makes it complain about a
> missing "/dev/drbd3".

As there seems to be no solution to this problem: Does an upgrade to 0.8
help?

Which version do you recommend on Etch? There's 8.0.12 on Backports, but
http://fghaas.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/step-by-step-upgrade-from-drbd-07-to-drbd-8/
states "make sure you get DRBD 8.2.3 or later; there were some bugs in
pre-8.2.3 versions that ran a slight chance of messing up 0.7 metadata
conversions".

Are these Bugs fixed in the 8.0 branch? Releasenotes for 8.0.7 already
say "Fixed drbdmeta's conversion of 07 style meta data". Is this the
same change as the "completely new drbdmeta - finally dealing with all
drbd-0.7 to drbd-8.x conversion cases correctly." mentioned in the 8.2.3
realease notes?

Grüße, Matthias