[DRBD-user] List could set Reply-To:

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Thu Aug 21 16:41:17 CEST 2008

Jerry Amundson wrote, On 12/23/-28158 02:59 PM:
> OK, so I clicked "Reply all", which the list's settings *and* my MTU
> require me to do in order to pull in the list address. (Yes, I admit
> neither are perfect).

No, both are correct.
you now have the choice of replying to the list, just the person(s) who have
been in the thread, or the poster only, with MINOR deletions.

with reply to rewriting, you can ONLY[4] reply to the list if you do not wish
to engage in painful copy and pasting.

And if you are using some mail software, the software has an option to reply
only to the list. From an earlier discussion on this list:
Evolution has it.. <Ctrl>-L
Sylpheed-claws
KMail/Kontact has it. Just press 'L'. Checked with version 1.8.

{anyone know how to get Thunderbird to do List only reply without using
reply-all and cutting?}

> Pretend I'm a newbie.
> I click reply.
> The only person who gets the message is you. You reply with advice to
> "reply to the list...". Personal time of both you and the original
> poster are wasted.

No it was not necessarily wasted, the poster was just given the opportunity[1]
to learn something, i.e., mail list etiquette and how their tool works.

As I have indicated before [2] reply rewriting breaks several rules of mail
handling, and I indicated I HAVE seen reply rewriting in action and felt it's
induced pain. The mailman Docs [3] include a few of the very good reasons not
to do it too.

[1] it is only an opportunity, some people just never learn.
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg42601.html
[3] http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg42608.html
[4] at lest in Mozilla products, when the Reply-To is set, you have to copy
any other addresses by hand (reply-all will not get them), especially if you
want to take the comment off list.
--
Todd Denniston