[DRBD-user] List could set Reply-To:

Jerry Amundson jamundso at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 04:52:34 CEST 2008

OK, so I clicked "Reply all", which the list's settings *and* my MTU
require me to do in order to pull in the list address. (Yes, I admit
neither are perfect).
Pretend I'm a newbie.
I click reply.
The only person who gets the message is you. You reply with advice to
"reply to the list...". Personal time of both you and the original
poster are wasted.
And, if you happen to be Florian, you're extra upset because your
signature (not yet seen because I'm a newbie) *explicitly* states,
"When replying, there is no need to CC my personal address.
 I monitor the list on a daily basis. Thank you."

Moreover, from the user-interface perspective, I (newbie, or not)
receive a message from a *maillist*, hit Reply, yet the message is
sent to you, and not sent to what I *expect* to be replying to!
You, and others, have years of Internet experience yet, as "as someone
who has been bitten by this non-obvious behaviour", you expect the
list server to cater to *your* expectations. Now *that's* arrogance.

Lastly,
Pretend I didn't top-post, and
Pretend you didn't receive two copies of this - remember, I had to "reply all".

jerry

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Stefan Seifert <nine at detonation.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 August 2008 14:44:09 Jerry Amundson wrote:
>> >
>> > http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>>
>> OK, that's your opinion. Out-dated, and sort of cute, but nonetheless
>> your opinion.
>> For the author to state, 'saying "All responses should go directly to
>> the list anyway." is arrogant', is complete rubbish. In 99% of cases,
>> replies *do* go to the list, so why penalize the rest of us?
>
> Well, other than your own posting on that topic the linked page at least gives
> some explanations and examples of why he consideres reply-to harmful. And as
> someone who has been bitten by this non-obvious behaviour more than one time,
> I have to say they are quite convincing.
> While pretty much every mailer makes it very easy to reply to the list if one
> is so inclined, there are answers that should not go to the list and may even
> contain confidential information.
>
> Regards,
> Stefan

There's plenty of youth in America - it's time we find the "fountain of smart".