[DRBD-user] suffering from iowait

Wolfram Schlich lists at wolfram.schlich.org
Fri Aug 15 11:19:22 CEST 2008

* Mark Watts <m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com> [2008-08-15 10:56]:

> On Friday 15 August 2008 09:46:32 Wolfram Schlich wrote:
> > * Mark Watts <m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com> [2008-08-15 09:51]:

> > > If its like other Dell's, you should start by disabling the TCP
> > > Offload (TOE) by removing the hardware key on the motherboard.
> >
> > Interesting... could you possibly be a little more verbose? :)
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Similar IO problems have been reported before (search the archives for TOE)
> and its been found that even if TCP Offload isn't enabled by the nic driver,
> the hardware key seems to enable it.
>
> If you pop the lid on the server, you should find (if you server has TOE) a
> little RJ11 dongle you can remove to fully disable TOE.
>
> I've done this on some 1950's and it solved my IO problems.

Hmm: http://tinyurl.com/5nehl6 (a long dell.com URL)
--8<--
To disable the TCP Offloading Engine (TOE) capability of Broadcom network
adapters, TOE must be turned off in Broadcom advanced controller suite (BACS)
or at the command line. Removing the TOE key causes connectivity failures
because it is not the valid method of disabling TOE.
--8<--
Maybe it's only a problem under Windows ;)

Also, the PE860 has a BCM5721 NIC, which does not seem to support TOE.

Thanks anyway!
--
Regards,
Wolfram Schlich <wschlich at gentoo.org>