[DRBD-user] DRBD w/RAID5 - Ubuntu Server

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Tue Aug 12 15:54:44 CEST 2008

Stefan Seifert wrote, On 12/23/-28158 02:59 PM:
> Also: never put a drbd meta disk on a MD RAID 5. Its painfully slow (and may
> be a reason for what you see). RAID 1 should be ok.

Can you clarify, please?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=raid.5+site%3Adrbd.org&btnG=Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=drbd+raid.5+site%3Alinux-ha.org&btnG=Search

don't seem to backup your assertion, and I'm curious due to the fact I am
planning to use a Linux software RAID 5 with drbd in the near future.

I would think that putting the meta data in a separate partition, which is not
in the data disk (array) would be sensible even if using no RAID, as seeking
issues seem to have been a common thread in many of the recent 'how do I speed
up drbd' list messages.  Or is this what you meant by 'never put a drbd meta
disk on a MD RAID..."?

Thanks for helping me understand.

--
Todd Denniston