[DRBD-user] Regarding DRBD usage

Ashay Jaiswal jaiswal.ashay.drbd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 14:48:40 CEST 2008

Hello All,

I am very new to DRBD.

I am trying to simulate DRBD on a single Linux machine. After
modifying some DRBD module code i am able
to build two different DRBD module (one requires device with major
number 147 and other requires device with major number 149).

I suceessfully inserted the two module into the kernel but I am facing
following problem:

For the original module which requires device with major number 147
drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/sda6 /dev/sda7 0 --set-defaults
--create-device --on-io-error=pass_on
command executed successfully

but for the device with major number 149
drbdsetup /dev/drbd1 disk /dev/sda10 /dev/sda7 1 --set-defaults
--create-device --on-io-error=pass_on
command fails with following error:
"No response from the DRBD driver! Is the module loaded?"
eventhough the module for major number 149 is loaded in the kernel.

I also want to know about the setup of secondary machine:
Is it necessary to insert drbd module on the secondary machine
manually or it is done automatically when we start "drbd" script.

It would be of great help to me if any one can help me in solving the
above problem.

Thanks and Regards,
Ashay Jaiswal