[DRBD-user] How to resize drbd online on top of LVM with meta-disk internal

Robert Heinzmann (ml) reg at elconas.de
Fri Aug 1 08:31:09 CEST 2008

Hi,

you should not resize the FS on the devices used as physical disks for
the DRBD device. You should go the storage stack from bottom UP (see the
graphic on http://www.drbd.org/ as reference).

1) resize the LV's - the "DISK DRIVER/DISK" Part of the graphic
refereenced above (lvresize -L+1G )
2) resize the DRBD device - the "DRBD" Part of the graphic refereenced
above  (see manual)
3) resize the fs on the DRBD device - the "FILE SYSTEM" Part of the
graphic refereenced above (resize2fs /dev/drbdX)

And most importantly: Cretae a full backup first ! :)

With your procedure you can't start DRBD again because probably the
internal meta data of DRBD is overwritten with FS data (resize2fs wil
use the full device and does not know of DRBD meta data) - BAD.

Robert