[DRBD-user] DRBD + GNBD + GFS

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Apr 14 12:20:49 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 06:47:09AM +0000, Chris Picton wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am trying to find out what would happen in the following situation:
>
> 1. GFS writes to its GNBD device.
>    GNBD client node writes to GNBD server node.
>    GNBD server writes to DRBD-primary.
>    DRBD begins to write to itself and to DRBD-secondary.
>
> Before DRBD completes the write to DRBD-secondary (thus, before it
> returns since writes are synchronous) the DRBD-primary node looses power.
>
>    The GNBD server dies with the power loss.
>    GNBD client node drops connection to the GNBD server.
>

> 2. Heartbeat notices the death of DRBD-primary, switches the DRBD-
> secondary to DRBD-primary, re-exports /dev/drbd0 via GNBD, and re-creates
> the virtual IP which the GNBD client was connecting to.
>
> 3. The GNBD client writing on behalf of GFS reconnects.
>

> Now, what happens to the write originally going to the DRBD volume? Will
> the GNBD-client retry the write?

I'm not too familiar with the GNBD client.
but I guess it just has to retry, DRBD or not.
if the GNBD connection is interrupted for server
goes down/reboots/network has a hickup/switch reboots/whatever,
and gets re-established: the GNBD needs to retry any pending write.
Same for iSCSI or any other network storage.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                           http://www.linbit.com :
: DRBD/HA support and consulting             sales at linbit.com :