[DRBD-user] drbd resource write performance and sync speeds

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Wed Apr 9 02:31:18 CEST 2008

Hello,

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 17:20:37 +0200 Florian Haas wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 April 2008 05:27:25 Christian Balzer wrote:
> > These are (except for the 2 primaries) nearly exactly the same
> > settings I came up with after a lot of testing.
> >
> > In my case it's a dual quad core box with 24GB RAM and 8 1TB SATA
> > drives in a RAID-5 that give me about 120MB/s writes on the "bare" MD
> > device. The first try with default values on DRBD gave me about 41MB/s
> > writes and a big "WTH?" feeling.
>
> If your local I/O subsystem pulls 120MB/s, the expected max DRBD
> throughput is around 105 MB/s:
>
> - disk does 120,
> - Gigabit Ethernet realistically does 110,
Yeah, various network tests get near that value.

> - so the network is your bottleneck,
It's a bonded dual GigE. Initially done to give DRBD enough breathing room
and left in place to have more redundancy for it and heartbeat.

> - so deduct about 5% DRBD throughput penalty,
> - and you end up around 105 MB/s.

Not getting anywhere near that, obviously.

> And that's a throughput we routinely tune DRBD to.

I'm at a loss at what more to tune here, seeing that the traffic on the
wire(s) is the one thing that never goes higher than the above numbers.
And the largest improvements so far were things that speed up writing on
the ACTIVE (aka sender) node so given all this I'm more convinced that
the bottleneck is local and not the network or the passive, receiving
node.

I have a feeling that the upcoming no-md-flushes might work some wonders
here.

> Also, don't confuse throughout and latency, and measure block device
> performance before file system performance.

I've just been using bonnie++ with x2 RAM size on identically created
file systems to get "real world" numbers and also to have something to
compare to other systems of mine.

Regards,

Christian
--
Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer                NOC
chibi at gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Network Services