[DRBD-user] DRBD + Heartbeat + 1 eth + 1 serial

Thanos Chatziathanassiou tchatzi at arx.gr
Fri Sep 28 15:53:06 CEST 2007

Matteo Campana wrote:
>     * I disconnect primary node from the ethernet
>>>     * secondary ----> primary  (ok)
>>>
>> If you only disconnected the ethernet interface and this happened,
>> apparently your serial heartbeat is not working.
>> Because if it was, heartbeat would understand that this is a
>> communications channel failure, not node failure so it should not
>> migrate resources
>
> Mhh.....but in my configuration I use "ipfail" because I want the
> ethernet interface up for my system, so I think that the heartbeat
> behavior is correct...or no??
still, if both servers were ``Primary/Unknown'' at the time, that would
mean that the serial heartbeat did not get through.
I think (though I'm definitely not certain) that if your setup were
correct, you'd have Primary/Unknown and Secondary/Unknown after pulling
the ethernet cable. i.e. heartbeat would know which is the ``good'' node
and migrate services to that one, but drbd wouldn't have a way to mirror
the data. I don't have a similar setup to test my claims though, since I
am not using the same interface both for the drbd data and the service
itself.
I have a separate crossover (so to speak) gigabit ethernet connection
for drbd and heartbeat (in reality two bonded gigabit ethernet), along
with a serial one and a separate interface for providing the actual service.
ipfail/ping only uses the ``service'' interface to make decisions about
who should run the service.

Maybe someone else can help you with this one, either here or on the
linux-ha mailing list.