[DRBD-user] Re: Could drbd randomly flip bits? Was: Database page corruption on disk occurring during mysqldump on a fresh database and Was: Spontaneous development of supremely large files on different ext3 filesystems

Maurice Volaski mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu
Tue Sep 18 07:50:03 CEST 2007

I failed over the server and ran a short backup and there were no
"didn't compare" errors where on the first server, they are there
pretty reliably. I guess this confirms some hardware on the first
server is flipping bits. Essentially, users could have any number of
munged files (most files are binary) since the problem surfaced a few
weeks ago, and there'd be know way to know. Unfortunately, the
secondary server was off for a short time at one point, so even if
the munging were taken place on the I/O subsystem and not in RAM, it
is possible that some blocks got copied badly to the secondary server.

Anyway, it seems the problem is definitely hardware and not due to
either ext3, drbd or mysql!

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu