[DRBD-user] many drbd devices?

Kelly Byrd kbyrd-drbd at memcpy.com
Sun Sep 16 20:03:56 CEST 2007

I would really like fine granularity in migrating the resources using my
drbd disks. Each resource is entirely contained in a directory. I have 4
phyiscal disks on each node backing drbd. I don't want to use pri/pri and
GFS for this. One way to accomplish this would be to lvm all 4 disks using
striping, then make several (at least two) drbds on top of several LVM
logival volumes. Is there any reason I can't extend this idea beyond two
drbds and use 24 drbds on top of 24 logical volumes, each with one
directory (I have 24 directories). Half would be pri/sec on node one and
half would be pri/sec on node two. This would let me migrate directories as
needed.

Is there any problem with this? What's the overhead of all those drbd
worker processes?

Also, is there any way to specify a global sync rate so that if only one
drbd is syncing it'll take the full sync rate, but 6 or 7 drbds syncing
will collectively share that same sync rate?