[DRBD-user] VolGroups dissapeared

Steven drbd at savetimehosting.com
Sat Sep 15 02:29:00 CEST 2007

James Wilson wrote:
> Well it seems the partitions are back I did the same thing I did last
> night and now I see everything. Any idea as to what happend. Because
> this would've been pretty scary for production. If you need any other
> information just let me know. Thanks in advance.
I believe this is normal behavior from Heartbeat and drbd.

As the primary goes down and come back on-line heartbeat is not
restarted and doesn't activate LVM. This is normal in order to allow you
to diagnose the problem and correct it before re activating it as a
valid/reliable node.

Normally if you start heartbeat it would then notice it became secondary
which is normal and then drbd would synchronize. Then and only then if
turn off or shutdown the secondary node will your primary reclaim its
original status.

Hope this helps.

> James Wilson wrote:
>> Yesterday I was testing failover with rhcs5 and drbd. To test
>> failover I simply unplugged the network cable from the server. The IP
>> failed over like it was supposed and all the data was still there
>> also. But when I brought the other server back on line it came up in
>> a Secondary/Unknown state and when I did an lvscan the logical volume
>> wasn't there anymore. So I tried setting the server to drbdadm
>> primary all and activating the volume group "vgchange -a y
>> VolGroup02". Still no logical volume. Which was ok because I still
>> had the volume on the other server because of failover. Well the
>> other server was still reading Primary/Unknown also. So I tried
>> bringing drbd down and back up by unmounting and drbdadm down all.
>> Then I reset the services and brought everything back up. Both server
>> were still reading Secondar/Unknown but now the logical volume on the
>> failover server was gone also. Has this happend to any one? Did I
>> configure something wrong the servers were set for Primary/Primary
>> and running a gfs2 file system.

Steven Dugway