[DRBD-user] Lower device already claimed

jeffb jeffb at umci.com
Fri Sep 14 19:26:13 CEST 2007

We've had problems with the filters for LVM not working the way they
should before.  I think the biggest problem that we had with the filters
was that the example in the default config file is/was completely broken.

There is a file in /etc in the lvm stuff there somewhere (can't remember
the name.. sorry) that lists all of the devices that it detected. If you
cat that file out, you can check to see if your lower level device is in
there.. If it is, then your filter missed.

Another option to test LVM filtering would be to totally shut down DRBD,
and try a few LVM commands.. If LVM can still see your defined
groups/volumes then your filter isn't working.

Hint: I don't remember the details, and I just checked I don't have a
working example on any of our machines here anymore, but if you're
having troubles getting a filter to grab, try doing the exact opposite
of what the example in the config file shows. I don't remember exactly
what the deal was, but I remember it being essentially a 180 from what
you'd expect.