[DRBD-user] drbd - configuring without secondary in place

Noah Dain noahdain at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 18:05:29 CEST 2007

On 9/13/07, Noah Dain <noahdain at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/13/07, Stefan Lesicnik <stefan at lsd.co.za> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've searched for quite a while and havent been able to find any
> > solution to a current problem we have.
> >
> > I am setting up a HA server and want to use drbd. I have tested drbd and
> >  it seems to work well.
> >
> > The problem comes in that I need to configure our new server with drbd
> > and have it become the primary, but the secondary wont be available
> > until i reinstall it, install drbd and copy the drbd.conf file in.
>
> I'm doing something similar here.  One machine is up (fresh install),
> but I'm waiting on another machine to become available before I can
> make it the secondary.
>
> I'm running debian etch (4.0).
>

> > I didnt want to do that step all on one day, i had it planned like this
> >
> > Install new server
> > Configure drbd (point to a dummy secondary server?)
> > Make drbd the primary
> > Configure new server
> > Shut down old server
> > Promote new server to our main server
> > Configure old server with drbd as failover for new server
> >
> > >From what i've seen, i cant seem to promote drbd to primary if it cant
> > see the secondary. Is this correct?  Any way around this?  Also, it
> > seems you cant mount /dev/drbd0 if it is not consistant and a drbd primary.
>
> you can force it to be the primary with drbdadm.  heartbeat can also
> be set up to do this.  Although in my situation, I've never had a drbd
> device show as inconsistant.
>
> for the drbd resource(s) in question, I have these settings ( in
> drbd.conf, obviously ):
> """
> startup {
>         wfc-timeout 10;     ## how long to wait before going ahead
> without other cluster node
>         degr-wfc-timeout 20;    ## degraded-cluster at boot timeout
>     }
> """
>
> Then I had to change the heartbeat script that handles drbd (
> /etc/ha.d/resource.d/drbddisk ), as it wasn't mounting the drbd
> device. I changed "sleep 1" to "sleep 5" (it's the only 'sleep'
> command used in that script).
>
> so now on a system startup the drbd init script runs and the drbd
> device comes up as secondary.  heartbeat then starts and about a
> minute later it promotes the drbd device(s) to primary and mounts the
> filesystem.
>
> my /etc/ha.d/haresources line looks like this:
> myserver drbddisk::drbdres0 Filesystem::/dev/drbd0::/drbd/res0::ext3
>
> once i get the failover machine online, I may need to tweak the
> timeout settings and what not.  Afraid I can't be of much more help on
> that just yet.  I still need to learn the finer points of drbd and
> heartbeat.

whoops, almost forgot ha.cf interesting bits:
"""
keepalive   1
warntime    10
deadtime    20
## deadtime, but for when system first boots:
initdead    120
## whenever this machine comes online, it grabs all ha resources:
auto_failback   on

## make sure both names are accessible - check /etc/hosts
node    myserver1
node    myserver2
"""