[DRBD-user] OT: simple bonding question w/ 2 nodes and crossover cables.

Kelly Byrd kbyrd-drbd at memcpy.com
Wed Sep 5 18:07:02 CEST 2007

Please pardon the off-topic post, but I figure you all
might know this as well and I'm already on this list.
I've got two nodes, each has a pair of gigE ports, plus
a 100M port. The 100M ports are my link to the world,
the gigE ports are just hooked up directly to the other
node, no switch in the middle.

Will bonding mode 5 or 6 work in this situation? I've
set it up with both mode=5 and mode=6 and it seems I
can't get any traffic unless I kill one of the links.
Is there something about bonding that expects all four
interfaces to be on the same network? The way I have
it wired, I effectively have two private networks:
Box1-eth0 <----> Box2-eth0
and
Box1-eth1 <----> Box2-eth1

I really don't want to add a switch here, it's just
one more thing to take up space and to fail.

This will be my drbd sync connection (see, not totally
off-topic). The desired bonding behavior is both
load balancing and reliability. I understand that I'll
have to run two drbd devices to get the full bandwidth.