[DRBD-user] Mirroring between NFS servers

Bernd Schubert bernd-schubert at gmx.de
Fri Oct 26 17:54:38 CEST 2007

On Friday 26 October 2007 16:51:00 Andreas Haase - evolver group wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, Mark Watts wrote:
> > DRBD could be used as the backing store for an HA NFS pair, but I
> > believe NFS clients would have to reconnect on fail-over since
> > file-handle state is stored in memory, not on disk.
>
> you can replace /var/lib/nfs by a sombolic link to a directory inside your
> drbd filesystem. Then switching over to standby node is possible without
> remounting filesystems from nfs clients. Depending on used hardware it
> could also be necessary to provide as fsid in /etc/exports.

In principle not neccessary any more with linux-2.6.x, you need to have
mounted /proc/fs/nfsd.
The only trouble you still have are these rpc.statd / lockd information
in /var/lib/nfs/sm, I think these still should be equal on both servers, but
locking information are not part of the NFS protocol (e.g. RFC 1813) up to
v3.

Cheers,
Bernd