[DRBD-user] drbd implementation question

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Fri Oct 19 16:59:44 CEST 2007

Kelly Byrd wrote:

> On
> > Create the RAID, whether it is HW or SW.
> >
> > Create a LVM VG out of the RAID array(s).
> >
> > Create LVM LVs out of the VG.
> >
> > You can create a drbd volume after the fact, you just CANNOT
> > create it with the meta-data on that volume you have to locate
> > the meta-data on a separate volume.
> >

> Aha! I had not thought of that. So if I had an /dev/sda1 as xfs
> partition with data on it, I could create drbd1 with /dev/sda1
> as the backing device, locating the meta-data somewhere else?
> Then when I sync to the other box, if I'm carefuly about who is
> outdated for the initial sync, I'll end up with my xfs and data
> on the other box as well? Awesome.

Yes, if the meta-data isn't stored on the volume then you can
use any existing volume in a new replica.

> > I prefer to locate the meta-data separately anyways, I create
> > a separate LV for drbd meta-data, and do drbd per-LV instead
> > of per RAID array.
> >
> Besides this onetime trick are there any other reasons? May
> I store all my meta-data for a bunch of drbds (each in it's
> own LV) in one place?

I like to do this because 1) it means I don't have to plan for
future replication needs when setting up a volume, 2) if for
some unknown reason I wish to switch replication technologies
I won't have left-over meta-data hanging out.

You can create an LV for each meta-data, or 1 LV for all within
a VG as you can specify an index for a meta-data segment in a
volume.

As long as meta-data segments remain same size between versions,
then you can stick with 1 LV for all, but pay attention to
upgrades in case this changes, you may need to migrate meta-data
over to a new LV if their size changes. It is definitely neater
to keep all meta-data for a VG in a single LV.

-Ross