[DRBD-user] drbddisk resource type with heartbeat2

Adrian Overbury adrian at inomial.com
Fri Oct 12 08:20:37 CEST 2007

In my experience (and I could be wrong) the difference between the
two comes down to which version of heartbeat you're using.  In one of
the production setups I run, we're using heartbeat 2.0.2, which
doesn't support things like the Master/Slave resource type, so you
need to let the systems bring up drbd on their own, putting both
nodes into secondary mode, then when heartbeat brings up the drbddisk
resource, it'll make one of them primary.  In the event of failover,
the other node will be made primary.

With later versions that do support Master/Slave, you should use the
drbd resource, because that is the one made to work with Master/
Slave, and the one that completely controls the initialisation and
promition/demotion of nodes.

As I said, though, I could be wrong about this.  It's just my
experience.

Regards,

Adrian Overbury
Inomial Pty Ltd