[DRBD-user] Migrating from x32 to x64

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Nov 28 01:37:10 CET 2007

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 11:38:55PM +0100, Laurent CARON wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to migrate several DRBD servers from x32 to x64.
>
> Will I need to re-create meta-data area, or is it compatible between 32
> and 64 bit ?
>
> Is there any known caveat about migrating that kind of setup ?

we tried hard to be compatible between architechtures,
  32/64 bit as well as endianess.

on disk meta data is architecture safe.

wire protocol is suposedly architechture safe.

but it has just recently been pointed out that our use of bitfields for
drbd internal state information exchange on the wire is not endian safe.

we used to have a test cluster pentium <-> alpha,
(only the old alpha is no longer up to it).

as long as you stay within the same endianess,
 32 <-> 64 is not a problem,
so there should be no problem doing a rolling upgrade
from x86 to x86_64

--
: commercial DRBD/HA support and consulting: sales at linbit.com :
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :